Sunday 8 March 2015

Vintage TV

I have clearly started writing this blog entry, but to date haven't yet finished it.  It's just to say that I really rate Vintage TV, which is available on Cable TV or via their website: http://www.vintage.tv/

Yes, I'm middle-aged now, but I really adore their playlist, which tends to consist of 50s/60s/70s/80s and 90s stuff, which is perfect for me.  As well as a wealth of videos, some of which seem to consist of various pieces of newsreel joined together as music videos didn't really exist until the very early 80s, but that's fine, albeit rather literal at times.  Akin to the accompanying video for Stuck In The Middle With You by Steelers Wheel or Wood Beez by Scritti Politti - the former featuring a clown and a joker, respectively and the latter - some, er wood and a swarm of bees.  Yes, really.

The documentary/talk shows I favour are: Neil McCormick's Needle Time, where the Telegraph music journalist talks to the movers, shakers and veterans of the world of pop, rock and soul.  Sometimes I give it a swerve if it features, say, somebody from X-Factor or any other talent show, but more often than not, it's really interesting.  Janice Long's Album Review Show is also good, although there haven't been any new episodes broadcast for a while now - maybe they've run out of LPs to feature?  I sincerely doubt it though.  They seemed to have bulldozed The 10 Bar Club in Tin Pan Alley, London though where it was filmed - maybe that's why?  Finally, there's My Vintage where a musician chooses his or her favourite tracks from the past and explains their significance. More often than not, the choices are fairly samey, which I guess has everything to do with Vintage TV's playlist limitations, more than say, personal choice?  One thing's for certain though - it's mandatory to praise the influence of David Bowie and/or Kate Bush to the hilt.  Fair's fair and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment