Sunday 17 March 2013

Sunday: rain and waterfowl

Yes, it's Britain and indeed, it's rained all frigging weekend.  Oh, what joy!  Hopefully I'll be able to jettison my Boden Rainy Day mac at some point this year, or maybe not?  It's depressing anyway.

My parents took me and the lad out to a park we haven't been to for ages, actually, I'd hazard a guess at it being at least a decade since I've moseyed through the gates.  It's lovely though and is located in a far superior postcode to my humble one.  They also seem to do quite a few wildlife walks, which is nice:

I love watching Herons? Actually, scratch that, I don't as they're the scourge of anybody with a pond full of fish.  How would you go about such an activity?  Stand on one leg whilst doing so?  Bizarre.

Apparently Canada Geese are a predator to the other wildlife in the park, so you're advised not to feed the blighters, but my word, aren't they aggressive and persistent?  The feathery buggers always chase the smaller wildfowl out of the way.  It reminds me of a time when my older brother was bitten on the bottom in St James's Park by an angry goose which had designs on his lunchtime sandwich.

Talking of ducks, I posed the following question to my Mother 'Why do Bromley's Parks have superior ducks to our own borough's stock and if so, does the council have a 'duck budget'?  If anybody knows the answer to this question, please could they contact me or leave a note on the comments section of the blog?


Finally, I always like to identify any water birds I see around and about and this handy rubric is just the ticket as far as I'm concerned.  My personal fave is the 'tufted duck' which sports an impressive head plumage reminiscent of the late, great Elvis Presley.  I seem to recall a Punt and Dennis sketch where they likened the Duck Billed Platypus to a 'sumo duck', so it always makes me smile. 



No comments:

Post a Comment