Monday 8 April 2013

Monday: my dream house

I have a dream house; I won't say exactly where it's located for reasons of security, but I walk past it on a fairly regular basis.  Why do I like it you may ask?  Well, it's a dream - take a look at the castellated writers' turret in the right hand frontage - it's truly amazing.  Also, it's Victorian and best of all, detached.  I have always adored period properties, although I've never really lived in one because I am rubbish at DIY and cannot really afford the upkeep on such an old building.


My aunt lived in a Victorian detached four bedroomed property in Berkshire and my word, wasn't it nice?  It featured three main bedrooms plus a fourth, somewhat smaller and narrower 'maid's room'.  I thought her shabby chic decor was brilliant too - Italian posters (derived from her time living out there), wooden furniture, books galore and just a really nice feeling about it.  I think that personally, I've managed to recreate the shabby, but certainly not the 'chic'.  One thing is true though - I have far too many books cluttering up my shelves, but as I read in one of my mother's 2008 copies of Saga Magazine(!) the other week, Bernard Levin was exactly the same, as was Keith Waterhouse, so I'm clearly in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment