Sunday 28 April 2013

Sunday: Charity Shop Window Displays and Old Cockney Ways

Well, you know me - I love to wander about aimlessly.  On Friday I was meandering around en route to the hairdresser and happened to look upon the window display in one of the many charity shops situated on the high street and here's what I saw:


Wowzers!  I think I've mentioned before that I have a family history of liking tacky ornaments?  I think it all dates back to my Grandmother and probably my Great-Grandmother before her.  I seem to recall that my Grandparents' place boasted a whole host of these gaudy lovelies, including a pair of ceramic dogs, which were claimed by my Mother's cousin but as she's been out of favour for a great number of years now, the request was ignored, lest that they were worth a great deal on the open market(?)  I think it's safe to say that I'm a third generation cockney - although since the BBC TV programme QI smashed the myth about babies being born in Bromley-Le-Bow, it's apparently in the resonance of St-Mary-Le-Bow which is near the City of London - so who's a proper Cockney then?  As part of my University of London History Degree, we studied the history of London (natch), but I was bored out of my skull for a whole ream of all of this and the ex-accountant who recounted all of the peals of the bells in great detail made me want to jump out of the window, I wouldn't take a great deal of notice of the breadth of my knowledge.

I love the detail on the rabbit portrait - they're splendid aren't they?  The china dog is also adorable too.  My Mother-in-law is also a huge fan of tacky ornaments and they dominate the dresser of her London Council Flat.  Ho hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment