Sunday 14 July 2013

In Praise of Geekiness, Especially of the Male kind

Yes, on a blog which is pretty much centres around being a female geek I am going to write about how much I adore male nerds and geeks.  I guess it's all part and parcel of what suits your own personality, but I very much doubt whether I'd date, hang around with or indeed marry anyone who didn't fit into that category.  Let's take ourselves back to the days of the early 1990s, I was studying for my A-Levels at a local sixth form college and emerging from a single-sex secondary modern girls' school I am dragged, kicking and screaming into a mixed environment with a whole bunch of boys who formerly attended my school's brother institution.  It's nice and it made lessons such as geography, rather fun.

So, the boys are nice, but on the whole, they're pretty samey - apart from one that is.  I won't name him because he's all grown up now and married with children, but to the 17-year-old me he was fantastic and best of all, and quite frankly, rather strangely, he used to sport two badges on his jacket - one depicting Matthew Kelly's face and the other....Henry Kelly (of Going for Gold Fame).  So, why on earth would that impress any girl and indeed me?  Well, I grew up in the London suburbs and as we all know, they're rather uniform by nature, everyone has to conform to a certain ideal and any kind of oddness is stamped out of you either by name calling at school or physical bullying.  Of course, like most adolescent relationships it only lasted until the first year of his degree, but it's always worth setting people free to follow their own paths in life.


Since then, well I must admit that my most successful relationships have been with nerds, but don't pity me as I think that it's great.  "Blokes need a hobby" said my Mother, and I hate to admit it, but she's right and shed or house space must be cleared as a result.  India Knight wrote about the very same thing in last week's Sunday Times supplements and I agree.  There is a higher concentration of males on the autistic spectrum then women and I think it's because everyone sits on the spectrum, but quite a few of the attributes are mainly male - such as an obsession with comedy or say, sports results.  So, nerds of the world rejoice - us women don't all want fake tanned, bleached teeth muscled torsos in any way, shape or form.  Surely, as in everything in life, personality rules out?

PS - the image if of my favourite mug which is a bone china number depicting an early tube map.  Sad?  Yes I am and proud of it.

Postscript: can I just say that some nerds are twats of the highest order?  Yeah, it's my blog and I can express whatever views I bloody well like.

No comments:

Post a Comment