Monday 1 July 2013

Monday: Shlepping around Asda, Robert Palmer and The PSBs

One of the great things about working part-time is that once I've dropped the Earl off at the school gates I can mosey along to the shops, which at 8:51am are usually pretty darn empty.  One of my least favourite things about shopping is crowds and supermarkets are the worst, especially in stores such as Asda where gits tend to either block whole aisles with their trolleys or plough straight into me whilst conversing on their bejewelled iPhones to an unknown person about something important, such as the cost of shellac nails.  Anyway, today I didn't buy any food items, but purchased the items you see below (actually there were a few other things for The Earl, but I don't really want to write too much about him on t'internet.)

So, Duchess, why on earth have you  bought a pink segmented lunchbox?  Well, it was on a rollback and I thought that it would prove useful in a picnic situation; also, I think I'm gaining a fetish for plastic storage, don't ask me why, but one of my kitchen cupboards is full of it.  Er, the facecloths are because they're a great way of cleansing one's face whilst carrying out simultaneous make up removal and microdermabrasion.  The hair colour is because mine looks like a choc ice has been placed on the top and I'm choosing the darker hues of blonde these days because I think that it more closely resembles my natural colour and the regrowth is better.  I could write about the dish brush, but that's beyond boring - zzzzzz.

I am sitting here listening to the greatest hits of Robert Palmer on YouTube; I seem to recall that he was royally taken the mickey of in an episode of The Mary Whitehouse Experience back in the early 1990s because I recall my brothers both laughing their smelly socks off about it.   I have always liked Robert Palmer's blend of blue eyed soul fused with synth and steel drums; I think this sound emerged because he was on Island Records, along with label mates Bob Marley, U2 and possibly Pulp, although I'd have to look that one up.  I recall that we were moving from a rented flat to our house on the day he died back in 2003 and later reading that he was buried in Switzerland in a designer suit (er, he was probably encased in a coffin too, the Swiss are very precise about such things.)


If we're talking about music, you're probably more than aware that I like 80s stuff and one of my favourite albums from that era is the Pet Shop Boys' Introspective album which was issued in 1988.  My best friend at the time had it on vinyl and we used to sit in her room listening to it whilst sticking mousse in her hair prior to getting the diffuser out (a total retro cliche...) My favourite track was Left to My Own Devices and I still love it, the lyrics are pretty much me to a tee.  The version of I'm Not Scared is brilliant too and Patsy Kensit's short-lived band Eighth Wonder had a hit with the single in the same year if my memory serves me right.  That was of course, before she appeared on Who Do You Think You Are? and wept copiously about her family's criminal past which I'm pretty sure was well-known prior to the researchers digging the relevant paperwork up. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment